Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Oops

Well, I've officially had my first major "mommy mishap". I'm quite embarrassed to even be sharing it, but I guess that's just part of this whole blog thing.

We made our first road trip to Huntsville last weekend to host my mom's 60th birthday party. Everything went perfectly. Grace slept the entire three hour drive there and back, we managed to make it without forgetting anything, she never seemed to notice being without her crib and swing, and she held up wonderfully with all the excitement and new faces. The one minor incident was a blowout diaper that happened to leak on Papa John.

We got home late Sunday evening and were so tired we went straight to bed. The next day I started the process of unpacking and putting everything away, which included taking care of that poopy outfit. I put it in the laundry room sink with some OxiClean and then walked away to multitask while it filled up. Well, probably 45 minutes later I sat down in the living room to feed Grace. While I was doing so, I noticed a trickling noise coming from the kitchen. It took me a second to put it all together...I'd never gone back to turn off the water! By this point, it was flowing out of the laundry room, into the butler's pantry area, down the two steps into the kitchen, and gathering where the kitchen tile meets the living room carpet. I peeked in the laundry room and the water was probably two inches deep; the drawers were full and everything in the cabinets underneath was soaked (as were my tidy piles of clothing waiting to be washed). To make matters much worse, water came up when I walked on the carpet on the OTHER side of the living room. Not good at all.

I called David to break the news, although he was working with his boss that day and couldn't bail me out. I was scrambling around like you've never seen before! Grace and I had both been in our pajamas, but were in the car headed to Lowe's to buy a ShopVac within five minutes. Luckily Jason - who happens to be in the flooring business - and Jessica came to our rescue. The clean up took hours, and we still won't know the true extent of the wood damage for a couple of weeks. The carpet is definitely toast though...

No comments:

Post a Comment